Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Musicophilia by oliver sacks

           Have you ever wondered why we like music or why do we get songs stuck in our heads? I have and so has Oliver Sacks a Neuro physician and author of this wonder full book. When I was two years old my mom took me to see Pinchas Zukerman "a violinist" who moved me in such lengths to make me want to play the violin. So when I was four my mom finally took me to a teacher who would be willing to teach the violin. Now it's been over 9 years and I still am playing, which shows that one little concert of music could be so meaning full to someones life. That it can actually change someones life forever.
           Oliver sacks claims that the reason why we like music so much is that it triggers rest and peace in mind which makes your brain respond to music the way it would to when you are sleeping. You're brain responds to music so well that it normally craves it in a way you would crave food or any kind of item. He also states that music can moves us to any peak or depth of emotion. Meaning that we can as sad as possible just threw a couple of minutes listening to music.
          How is it that I remember a song and it is now stuck in my head? Oliver sacks theory about memorizing music is that each note in any key turns into a color in your head. So for example lets say there's a song that you haven't heard in years but you when you hear it you recognize it immediately. The reason you recognize it because of the notes the same colors went off in your head in the same pattern. Allowing you to recognize the song with it also bringing some kind of deep or happy emotion in each phrase! I have only read 5 chapters of this book so far, but I feel I am already starting to get the big picture of it and cannot wait to see what incredible information i will learn after i am done with this book.

1 comment:

  1. this sounds fascinating! i didn't know you have played violin for so long!!

    ReplyDelete